Recently the temperature has gone down here in The Netherlands. Winter is just around the corner. I am wearing a scarf and gloves when I go out, but not yet a hat. I find myself curling up next to the heating at home, drinking more hot tea than a couple of months ago and eating oatmeal almost everyday!
I don’t know how long it takes to become a master in the craft of making oatmeal, but I think I’m getting on to it. Somehow I’m adding fewer ingredients, but the flavors become more intense. For example by roasting the oats before you cook them they give off a nutty aroma, which I really love. It makes the oats taste more savory.
Other ingredients I use for my oatmeal lately are raisins and apples. Raisins mainly for the sweetness. I throw in an apple because it gives a nice texture to the oatmeal and kind of makes an apple pie out of it. Yeah, so let me tell you how I make my go to oatmeal for winter.
Preparation time: 30 min.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2 cups of fresh water
- a pinch of salt
- a handful of raisins (or more, depends on how sweet you want it)
- one apple
- one teaspoon of cinnamon
- apple sauce, date syrup, maple syrup or rice syrup (optional and to your liking)
- Place a small to medium size pan over high fire and pour the water in. Add a pinch of salt and wait until it boils.
- Meanwhile set a dry frying pan together with the rolled oats over low fire. Keep roasting the oats on low fire until it gives off a nutty aroma and set aside.
- When the water is boiling add the roasted oats into the water, turn the fire low, place a lid on top and let it simmer softly. It is best to use a fire distributor so the oats won’t stick to your pan. If you don’t have one it is fine too, just keep the fire on its lowest.
- Cut up the apple into small pieces and add it to the pan after about 15 minutes. Stir and add the lid back on. Then when the apples get softer add in the raisins and stir. If you want to add it the apple sauce, now would be a good time for it. Don’t forget to stir again!
- When all the liquid has disappeared, after about 30 minutes, your oats are done. Serve it in a bowl and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. If your want more sweetness you can add some syrup or sugar.
OATMEAL RECIPE VIDEO